Medical Illustration Podcast - Mark Belan interview
Updated: Aug 26, 2022
This is an interview with Mark Belan, a scientist turned illustrator and designer that specializes in scientific education and communication. Mark excels in the niche of Data Visualization which is an area of Scientific Communication we are seeing more people in the field gravitate towards.
Mark currently works at Visual Capitalist, a global online publisher focused on topics including markets, technology, energy and the global economy–seeking to make the world’s information more accessible by highlighting the bigger picture through data-driven visuals. We’ll discuss his image-making process in this interview, as well as his educational background and hear more about some of the great images he’s been putting out recently. Please enjoy this conversation with Mark Belan!
- “Graphic Medicine” - Comics in medicine site
- NYT interactive storytelling
- “The War of Art” book by Steven Pressfield
- National Geographic Infographics
- Jonna Lee, Swedish audio visual artist
Mark Belan SM:
- Masters Thesis on Carbon isotope biosignatures
- Carbon isotope biosignatures (illustrations)
- Carbon isotope biosignatures (comic)